Saturday 3 November 2007

Nanshan Grand Buddha Statue & Temples

Today Ellie, Franny and I went on a bit of a sightseeing tour to the Grand Buddha statue and the temples in the Nanshan tourism zone. The Buddha statue is 38.66 meters tall, weighs in at 380 tons and is made of copper and tin. Right underneath the Buddha is the temple of ten thousand Buddhists - it has 9,999 small gold painted Buddha statues - with the grand Buddha on top being the 10,000th Buddha - it was pretty amazing and the temples were full of statues and paintings.

We went for some lunch and then went ten pin bowling in the tourism complex - I guess they don't get many tourists in Nanshan in November as they had to open the bowling alleys and switch on the lights just for us! :-)

This afternoon we went into Huangcheng, the place where I seem to spend most of my life at the moment and did some more shopping (although didn't buy anything..).

I've been contemplating finishing at the school a few days earlier than I had planned and catching an overnight bus down to Shanghai to do some sightseeing - the volunteer coordinator here seems happy for me to do that so I'm going to try and get it sorted this next week - and will probably fly directly back to Beijing to catch my flight home on the 24th. It will be another city to explore so can't wait.. Ellie thinks I'm a bit of a cop out now as that means I only have one more weekend left here - she wants to do some traveling and sightseeing too at some point so hopefully she'll come down to Shanghai too then catch the bus back up.

I've added a few more photos onto Facebook from today - we have an early start as we are visiting Yantai city tomorrow.

No comments: