Saturday 3 November 2007

Fireworks

There I was thinking it's coming up to bonfire night and I'd miss the fireworks this year - definitely not the case. The Chinese like to use fireworks to celebrate occasions, and there are lots of birthdays and weddings in China!

I was woken up this morning by a load of fireworks going off - I wouldn't have minded if it was dark (well, actually I probably would as I was still sleeping) - but it was light outside. It's not the first time I've heard fireworks during the day - they seem to let them off at some pretty strange times.

The past couple of days have been quite quiet - all the English lessons have been cancelled as the kids have been doing some sort of tests - it's left us with not much to do apart from freeze. My apartment is currently 10 degrees inside and with the Chinese not turning on the heating until 15th November I can see it getting colder. I've been told it's warmer outside in the UK than it is in my apartment!!

We've taken to walking around shops a lot as they are warmer than here and we've had Chinese hotpot a couple of times to keep us warm. Last night Ellie and I were invited out by Daniel, Frannys bloke and a few of Daniels business colleagues - one lived in Australia for 4 and a half years and his English was pretty good - the older one had heard I was quite good at drinking and I'm sure wanted a drinking competition - we had quite a few toasts! I definitely wasn't going to get as drunk as I did at the school lunch - I've only just recovered so I took it a lot slower this time!

We're off doing some sightseeing today so will let you all know where I've been and what I've been up to later!

No comments: