Thursday 1 November 2007

My head hurts!

I have an alcohol induced hangover and for once it's not my fault.. ;-)

Yesterday morning I went to the kindergarten with Ellie again and did a lesson on colours - the Chinese English teacher in the school didn't come in with us to translate when the kids don't understand and keep them under control so it was certainly a challenge - I kept the lesson to the very basics only using the colours blue, pink, white, red & yellow - keeping a 4/5yr olds attention for 20minutes based on teaching them just those colours so they remember them is quite hard work.

In the 'noon-time' as they like to call it over here (i.e. lunch) we were invited to have lunch with the heads of the schools - junior school, senior school, Franny, Ellie, me, and a couple of other blokes - they certainly like their toasts, and we were drinking something which they called white wine - it was actually 38% proof firewater! They welcomed me to the school, thanked me for coming to teach and toasted just for the sake of toasting I think - "Gambei!" - that's Chinese for "Cheers!" and then had me down the glass.

I was sat in between the heads of the Junior and Senior school and they kept on topping up my glass and proposing a new toast. I think we polished off the bottle of "white wine", finished off a pint and a half of lager and then another bottle of the "white wine" - I was drunk, but I don't think I was as bad as the head of the junior school - Franny translated what he said and it came out that when he comes to England he is coming to see me to be his drinking partner as nobody else can usually keep up with him...! :-)

At least I had no lessons yesterday afternoon - I slept the alcohol off and slept through until this morning and just taken paracetamol to try get rid of the headache. I'd love to know how much work the head of the junior school got done yesterday!

I've got a meeting this morning at 9.30am with the English teachers on the subject of Chinese diet and nutrition - I think they pick a subject every now and again and discuss between themselves to improve their own conversational skills and ability of English. Franny seems to be the only one that can speak fluently so it will do them all good. I know next to nothing about Chinese diet and nutrition though so it could be fun.

No comments: